A bezel setting encircles the gemstone with a continuous metal rim and extends slightly above it. It is one of the most secure settings available.
The advantages of a bezel setting are:
– It is the perfect setting for a woman with a very active lifestyle.
– The setting will not ‘catch’ on your clothing or cause problems for women who may have to wear latex gloves for work.
– The setting can conceal minor flaws in a stone, such as if the girdle of the stones is ‘thicker’ than desired or if there is a chip on the stone.
-A bezel setting can provide a beautiful frame to highlight the stone.
The disadvantages are:
– Having a closed setting can make it very difficult to clean your gemstone
– The colour of stone may not be shown to its best, as the metal surround does not allow as much light through the stone.
-When a yellow gold setting is used, some of the metal’s colour can reflect into the stone and alter the stones natural colour.